Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Living the Dream



A day in the life taking care of my sweet little angel is quite pleasant. I think the universe has a special way of making the transition into parenthood smooth . . . Either that or I have just been blessed with an extremely easygoing baby. Typically a newborn sleeps around 18 hours a day, and most of their wakeful times are while eating. Charlotte undoubtedly fits into this category of sleepy babes, and it makes getting things done possible, like doing chores around the house and showering.

Charlotte typically wakes up for a couple hours of daytime activities anytime from 8 to 11 a.m. This all depends on whether or not I can coax her back to sleeping at her 8 a.m. feeding. Once she is up, has a diaper change and feeding, it is usually bath time, which is Charlotte's favorite activity besides nursing. The hospital staff said we could bathe her as little as every other day, but this little water baby loves baths so much we make it a daily occurrence. 

Once we finish the bath and lotion deal, I'm sure to dress Charlotte in the most adorable weather appropriate outfit I can find. From there it's time for me to give Charlotte my undivided attention where we sing, dance and cuddle until she's ready to nurse at least once more and eventually dose off to sleep. 

I'm so lucky, because Charlotte will sleep from 1 p.m until 6 p.m., waking up for just one feeding in between. This is my time to shower, do dishes, sweep and do anything else that I've been unable to do otherwise. From there we find time to walk the dogs around 6 and do some tummy time. Charlotte typically sleeps on and off until 10 and has her second wakeful time until 1 a.m. This is the only time you might catch Charlotte in a pissy mood, and typically if I switch between nursing and rocking her, she's happy as can be.

We go to bed together at 1 a.m., and she sleeps until 5 a.m. I simply change her diaper and feed her for 30 minutes or less when she wakes, and we're back in dreamland before I can fully wake up. Being a mom has been extremely enjoyable so far, and I can only imagine it getting better. I love that she's getting bigger and more aware everyday, and I'm so excited to watch her grow. 


2 comments:

  1. You make it seem so easy! I love her xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had moments that were challenging, but it really hasn't been too difficult! I feel lucky to be her mom and be able to take care of her. Pregnancy was harder lol

    ReplyDelete