Saturday, November 8, 2014

Tips and Tricks from a Work at Home Mom (WAHM)

 

I recently read a blog post by a work-at-home-mom who listed off everything she did throughout the day and the time it took for each task. I found myself laughing with relief as I read her post, discovering that I'm not the only person who has to utilize even the quickest moment of opportunity throughout her day-to-day, just to get a little bit of work done—Two minutes towards an email, 30 seconds of brainstorming, ten minutes to put the final touches on an article the morning of its deadline. Although it can sometimes be a dizzying balance act, there are definitely ways to make the work-at-home-mom gig a little bit more fluid. My tips are listed below (and they may be useful for all moms looking to accomplish as much as possible in a busy day).

Coordinating Naptime. There have been a couple times when Charlotte falls asleep for a nap literally one to three minutes before I have a business phone call scheduled. A large majority of the times that I have a phone meeting or interview, I am able to secure a babysitter in advance. However, there have been a couple occasions that have forced me to get creative. One way I've made this work is by scheduling my call close to her sleepy time. I then give myself at least 20 minutes before the call to breastfeed Charlotte to sleep. Each time I've quietly crept out of the room, leaving my baby to get her needed rest, I've felt like I totally accomplished super mom status.

Be Present. I chose to be a work-at-home-mom while my baby is young, so I can give her all the attention and love I know she needs throughout the day. I don't work at home so she can feel neglected and ignored while I hide behind my computer. Therefore, I try to decipher the different times between Charlotte time and work time, that way she is getting 100 percent of my attention, and she is not having to compete with my iPhone. 

Claim Your Space. It's true what people say about children taking over houses. Don't let this happen to you. We all need a little space to do our best thinking and work. So, claim a space in your house that is dedicated to your work and any other passions you have. If you have a spare room or corner in your bedroom, set it up as a home office or studio, and make it a place of your very own.

Schedule It. If your job doesn't require it already, set office hours for yourself. These are the times when you go to your space and get work done uninterrupted. Okay, so maybe I really need to take my advice on this one, because it is so valuable, and it is much easier said than done. 


Click HERE to read about adjusting to at-home life

Dress the Part. One piece of advice that I received that really sticks out to me was a tip on how to avoid post partum depression. Every day I make a point to get up, shower and get ready for the day. Not only does it make me feel better, it also really motivates me to get various tasks handled. Because I am able to work from home, I typically don't dress anything beyond casual, unless I have a business meeting. However, doing my makeup, brushing my teeth and throwing on a clean tank top can really do a lot for a girl's confidence, and I recommend it!

Recruit Help. You can't do it alone! And even if you can, you really shouldn't have to. Reach out to family, friends or trusted individuals within the community. Children are full time jobs and then some! Working on top of this can run you ragged really quick if you don't have moments of relief. 

Give Yourself a Night Off of Work. There never seems to be enough hours in a day, but it's best to accept it, and move on. The best way you can do this, and avoid the possibility of getting burnt out from doing too much, is by allowing yourself time off at least once a week. It's of course easier said than done, but for someone who works constantly throughout the day and night, a couple hours of turning off the email, cuddling up and enjoying Netflix is about all you need to rejuvenate yourself for the next week.


These are my personal tips and tricks for a work-at-home mom. Are there any other moms out there that can attest to some mom-life-balancing strategies? If so, please share them below!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this post - great advice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to read my advice! I really hope some of the points will help you in your mom - work balance! :)

    ReplyDelete