Thursday, November 27, 2014

A Holiday for Thanks


Isn't it pretty obvious what I'm thankful for?!

You're probably expecting the typical "What I'm thankful for . . . " list from this post, but I'll save that for my family's pre-dinner tradition. Instead, I want to share an article that is really special to me. It was the first cover story I wrote for IE Weekly last year.

Giving Thanks is a piece I was inspired to write, because I wanted to remind or educate people on the types of values that are held in many local Native American tribes. Many Native Americans have relationships with nature, food and material possessions that we can learn a lot from. One example of this that I explain in the article is how, "Food isn’t just for nourishing one’s body—it is also an important element for spiritual celebration, social fabric and maintaining a connection with nature."

I hope we can take a moment and re-evaluate our priorities when it comes to the holidays. While I will definitely follow my family's typical Christmas traditions to ensure Charlotte has a great first holiday season, I want to continue focusing more on the experience and less on the things.

Remember to always count your blessings, be altruistic, and take a moment to really soak in what a great gift life is today and every day.


Happy Thanksgiving! From Charlotte & Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment