Monday, November 17, 2014

Taking Care of Yourself, A Helpful Guide for Moms




Eating, drinking, sleeping . . . it seems like my most basic necessities are the ones that most often get neglected. Although Charlotte is huge, full and well-rested, I can't say the same for myself.

I eat as often as I can, but I don't think my diet always meets the 2000 calories that is recommended for a breastfeeding mother. A challenge I have is that I prefer to eat at home, and recently I've really been focusing on eating organic. This poses a problem when I'm trying to eat a full meal in a short amount of time. 

Beyond that, sleeping is always second priority to work, and there is always so much more work to be done between Charlotte, my dogs, housework and my paying jobs. (As I write this, it's 1a.m., and I'm sure I will be up before 7a.m. to hang out with sweet Charlotte.) If you're a mom who struggles like me to make the time to take care of her basic necessities, here is a guide to aid you in taking care of yourself for a change. These simple cheats will aid you in successfully feeding, resting and hydrating yourself . . . one day at a time.


Eating!

Meal Prep. Don't miss an opportunity to plan ahead for a meal. If you make tacos one night for dinner and have leftover meat, beans, cheese and other ingredients, don't let them go to waste. Prep some healthy burritos for the next day. I'm guilty of eating burritos for a noon breakfast as a last resort, but it is always a great burst of protein.

Easy, Healthy, Organic Meals. Pre-made meals don't have to look like cheap, soggy microwave entrees. Instead, opt for a healthier and fresher food like organic, vegan soups. My personal favorites are the Amy's Organics Tomato Bisque and No Chicken Noodle Soup, however they have a great assortment for you to enjoy. Pre-made soups take only a couple minutes when heated on the stove-top or in the microwave. Throw a couple crackers or chips in the mix, and you have a hearty meal to keep you going.


Sleeping!

Take a Nap. So maybe you have four emails to answer, and the dogs could always use a walk, but you're exhausted. Give in to the baby's second nap of the day, and just relax. If it turns into a nap, that's even better. Nothing can beat good old fashioned sleep.

Early Night. This is my least favorite. I'm a night owl. I like to stay up. I enjoy the quiet time, and I feel like my best work gets done when I'm (almost) uninterrupted. However, every once in a while it's good to throw the towel in a couple minutes early. A full night's sleep is rejuvenating, and it might make you feel even better than a little alone time would have anyways.


Drinking Water!

Make it Convienent. If you're a filtered water person, it's best to keep a couple reusable water bottles filled and ready to go at all times. If you're a disposable water bottle person, you're already working with a convenient source of water, assuming that you keep it well stocked.

Take it Everywhere. It doesn't matter if you're going somewhere that will have water, be sure to stock up so you can anticipate your thirst before it creeps up on you. Especially for breastfeeding moms—thirst is at a whole new level.

Stash it Everywhere Too! I keep water next to the rocking chair, in my diaper bag and next to my bed. It might look untidy, but it helps me keep hydrated, even when it's not always on my list of priorities.



I hope this little guide to taking care of your basic needs gave you some ideas on how to better plan for it. Any moms out there willing to share their tips and tricks on how to take better care of themselves? I would love to hear your suggestions below!

No comments:

Post a Comment