Saturday, November 15, 2014

Baby Milestones — Introducing Finger Foods


Charlotte is a pro at feeding herself . . . well almost!

I can't speak for all eight or nine-month-old babies, but my daughter loves organic finger foods! Little pieces of soft fruits like bananas and pears, as well as baby puffs, munchies and more keep her happy and entertained in her high chair. Whether we're doing dishes in the kitchen or enjoying dinner at one of our favorite local restaurants, snacking keeps little Cha Cha happy while mom gets a moment of freedom. Like with anything that comes with being a first time mom, introducing finger foods wasn't the simplest of tasks. However, starting off slow and paying attention went really far in the long run.

First Finger Food Favorites! The first type of finger food I decided to introduce to Charlotte was organic sweet potato puffs. They were easy to pick up, and I figured she would have the most success with these quickly dissolving little treats. It took trial and error for me to discover the best size for her to mash up with her seven teeth and then swallow without gagging was one-quarter of the little snack. Now, just weeks later, she is able to eat full sized puffs with ease.

Another favorite finger food of my daughter's is bananas. I still find myself having to smash the small banana pieces slightly to help Charlotte eat them with ease. Other finger foods she likes are cooked peas (smashed or with skins removed), cottage cheese, chunks of soft sweet potato and more. I wish my baby could enjoy avocado, but it doesn't agree with her tummy.

Charlotte insists on feeding herself, even when I'm trying to do it efficiently. For this reason and more, I just let my daughter feed herself with the spoon sometimes, while I sit there ensuring she doesn't hurt herself. I usually have a back up spoon to make sure she actually eats. Other times, I will give in to her busy hands grabbing at the bowl of messy pureed food, and I let her feed herself hands-on. This typically happens in the morning before bath time. Thank goodness for high chairs and dogs! Without them, I would be stuck with a more ridiculous mess.

 Remember to always constantly supervise your baby while they are eating! It's your job to keep your baby safe!

I'm always looking for more healthy finger food options for my almost nine-month-old baby. Please share your suggestions below!

No comments:

Post a Comment