Friday, April 18, 2014

My Village


Charlotte & Her Aunt Natalie

"I'm exhausted . . . " The words fell out of my mouth without any effort. My mom looked at me and reassured that I looked tired, as a lay across her couch with Char standing on my lap. Despite my eight-plus hours of on and off sleep last night, I was out of energy. More than anything, I was mentally exhausted.

Although it is one of the most rewarding things I've ever done, entertaining a baby can also be one of the most tiring at times. It is because of this that I appreciate the help of my village . . . my family.

To say my family is tight-knit is actually an understatement. My sisters and parents are my best friends, and I spend more time with them than any and all my friends put together. Josh once told me that my family is perfect for raising children, which couldn't be further from the truth.

My parents sacrificed their entire lives for my three sisters and myself. Now, they continue to do the same for their grandchildren. Our family is very kid-centric, and for that I am extremely thankful. Not only did this mindset give me a supportive and loving upbringing, but now my daughter gets to experience this overwhelming amount of unconditional love.

From my amazing fiance down to my sweet nieces, everyone in the family enjoys spending time with Charlotte. She is lucky to be surrounded by so many great people, because each influence will impact her life in a different way. For example, my nieces Sadie and Mabie play with her differently from the ways I would, and her dad makes her smile and coo using silly faces and maneuvers that I haven't even thought about. It works out well for the baby, and it works out for mom too. I'm not ashamed to say that I also need a little break every once in a while . . . especially now that Charlotte's naps are almost nonexistent in comparison to her wakeful times.    

During the weekdays when Josh is at work, I am able to enlist the help of my mom and sister. My younger sister Natalie and my mother both operate very differently, but with the same end in mind . . . and that is ensuring the children are well taken care of. I've watched as they've helped love and guide Sadie and Mabie over the last few years, and I'm constantly taking notes on their negotiation techniques. I spend a lot of time with my mom and sister, and because of that they are both a huge part of Charlotte's life. They comfort, cuddle, talk and entertain my sweet little girl. Beyond that, they both go out of their way to make sure that I can do some things for myself every once in a while.

Whether it is coming over for an hour to hold the baby while I shower and make something to eat, or serving as my personal laundry service, I'm extremely grateful for the help of these two women. Thanks to these ladies, not only do I have a time to shower or walk the dogs, but I also haven't experienced postpartum depression. Having them around during the day, rather than just staying locked in my house with the baby and my two pups, really keeps my life upbeat and lighthearted.

Now it's clear why they say it takes a village to raise a baby, not only does everyone have different insight . . . but mom needs a break every once in a while. Not only was I blessed with a sweet little genius baby, I also have a supportive and loving family.

Charlotte is a babbling, smiling, hand sucking, toy playing, aware baby girl who loves her parents, and her village, enormously.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post Jamie. It brings me peace to remember how much support we have in our family. When I have children one day, I am going to be so grateful for everyone. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! There is so much to be grateful for in our family.

      And I can't wait for you to have children one day. Charlotte loves cousins ;)

      Delete