Thursday, August 21, 2014

Our Projects — Getting DIY for the Wedding




Wedding bells, anyone?

I have taken on the task of planning my future wedding. After over three years of engagement and one bald baby later, Josh and I have officially set a date for our celebration of love and commitment. With that comes a never-ending list of to-dos, which will ultimately serve as my third job in addition to being a full-time mom and freelance writer.

Once the venue was booked and the colors were decided, I embarked on a journey to do-it-yourself (do-it-MYself) as much as possible for this joyous occasion. From signing up for a floral arrangement class to ordering mirror-esque spray paint, I have absolutely embraced the many hats I am going to wear over the next 10 months.

The first conquest in my DIY adventure was to create special gift boxes full of goodies to ask my bridesmaids, maid of honor and parents to each be a part of our wedding.

This spirit started with my primary project . . . The staple of each gift-box was going to be a rhinestone bedazzled tank top for each important lady in my life (myself included). I ordered the tanks online from H&M. Each shirt was $5.95 plus tax, and I used a code to receive free shipping.



I also ordered rhinestone heat transfers through etsy of the words Bride, Maid of Honor, Bridesmaid and Mother of the Bride. Each transfer was between $2.99 and $6.50. I saved money on the shipping, because I took the time to find a seller that had high quality heat transfers for every word I needed.

The heat transfers came in the mail pretty much next day, and they were in excellent condition. Using the easy-to-follow instructions, I successfully made the shirts in less than an hour, and that is considering I had to take breaks to keep my six-month-old girl happy.



I included a matching bracelet, matching nail polish, hand-painted card, baby-feet stamped information card and a personal wine bottle (or apple cider bottle for my bridesmaid who is seven months prego) for each lovely lady. It almost goes without saying that my wedding party, as well as my parents, were really happy to receive the gifts. Not only did I save money on the project, I also let some of the people that matter most know how important they are to me.


Whether you have been a bride or you are a bride-to-be, feel free to share your creative wedding DIY ideas in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment