Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Thank You For My 26th Birthday

True Love — 2010

Josh and I met about a month before he turned 29. On the morning of his birthday, one of the first things he did was call his mom. I remember thinking it was bizarre, so I questioned this ritual. Josh explained that it was in fact his mother who did all the work to bring him into the world, and on his birthday he felt it was more appropriate for him to call her and express his gratitude than it was to wait for her to call. I thought this way of thinking was unique, as many things are in the mind of my fiance, but that was all I thought about it at the time.

Today, I am spending my 26th birthday in a similar way that I spend all of my days, which is alongside my sweet Charlotte. As I reflect on this story from almost five years ago, I have a completely new appreciation for the people who gave me the gift of life.


I especially want to express my appreciation for my mother. Throughout my life, my mom has been by my side wiping my tears, supporting my decisions, loving me unconditionally and more. I never understood the dedication and commitment being a mom requires until I had a little one of my own. From the onset of pregnancy, into the transformative experience of childbirth, and through the newness and eventual way of life that is parenthood, becoming a parent is one of the most selfless choices one makes, and it takes a true warrior like my mom to always come from a place of care and understanding.


So on my birthday, I want to say thank you to my mom and dad! My parents have sacrificed everything to give me (and my three sisters) more love, guidance, friendship and fun than we could have ever hoped for. I wouldn't be here without them (literally), and I hope that one day Charlotte loves and appreciates Josh and me in a similar way that we do our parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment