Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Five Surprising Things About Becoming a Parent


I didn't know that becoming a parent would be so much fun!

Surprise, you're a mom! Okay, so it doesn't really happen like that, even if you feel as if your world has turned upside-down following a positive pregnancy test. Luckily, parenthood comes on slowly but surely, and you adjust as the time passes. I remember when Charlotte was a newborn, I could not imagine having a baby that only took one nap a day . . . and recently Charlotte has been skipping her second nap entirely, and I've adjusted slowly over time to where it's not a big deal. If anything, it reminded me that the days when she was tiny held more challenges, even though my baby slept more. (Although I've been assured by mothers everywhere that around two and three, life becomes difficult again.) And while how easily I've adjusted was definitely a surprising relief, there are plenty of other things that have been as well. Here are the things that truly surprised me about being a mom . . . . and I wouldn't have it any other way!


Strength. Can you say buff stuff, anyone? From surviving labor to gaining serious muscle mass that has only grown with the baby over the last almost 10 months, I have only gotten stronger mentally and physically since giving birth. I am physically stronger, because I have a child attached to me 24/7 (you can find her on the right boob if she is missing). From lifting her constantly to rocking her to sleep, carrying her up and down the stairs and more, I have gotten so much stronger now with little Charlie in tow. 

Patience. I have NEVER been a patient person. I'm the type of person who wants everything to be done yesterday. I'm pretty sure I touched on the subject when I was impatiently waiting for Charlotte to arrive. Now, I'm much more patient than I could have ever imagined.

Unconditional Love. No one can prepare you for how much you will love your offspring, and the love only gets stronger over time. From the moment I first held Charlotte in my arms, you couldn't have convinced me that I could love her more than at that moment . . . but then it happened and continues to happen! My heart might just explode pretty soon here.

Regret-Free. I have to admit, pre-baby I was judgmental. I thought that most people with kids had a sense of regret deep down. The idea of selflessness required to raise a baby was beyond my comprehension at the time. Now I see that I was so naive, and being a mom has been the best and most life changing decision I have ever made.

Deeper Meaning of One. Although I have always had some type of spiritual belief that connects all sentient beings, I'm even more convinced of it now. When I look a other children, I feel like I love them as my own. I feel humbled by the connection I share with Charlotte, and I enjoy watching the pure joy she brings to every person she comes in contact with.


I'm sure as time goes on, I'm going to experience many more surprises. What have been your biggest surprises in becoming a parent? Please share with us below!

No comments:

Post a Comment